airflow-dev mailing list archives

From "Maycock, Luke" <luke.mayc...@affiliate.oliverwyman.com>
Subject Airflow Logging
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:52:28 GMT
Hi All,

We (owlabs - fork: https://github.com/owlabs/incubator-airflow) have a high level design for
how to improve the logging throughout the Airflow code to be more consistent, maintainable
and extensible. We'd really appreciate any feedback on the design.

Design for Consolidating Logging Setup:

 *   Create a Class in the utils\logging.py to instantiate and handle setup of an "airflow"
logger object. This allows us to easily find all setup code for further modification and extension
in the future.
 *   This class would be where any general logging configuration (from Airflow.cfg) would
be applied.
 *   Instantiate this class in this file, so that importing it allows easy control of the
logging setup from anywhere else in the application.
 *   Move all setup of the logging in general to this class with easy to call control methods
to turn forms of logging on and off (e.g. console/debugFile/errorFile).
 *   Move any other helper functions related to logging that are still required into the utils\logging.py
so that we can easily find them for modification and extension in the future.
 *   Ensure that all logging throughout the application is done via the "airflow" logger object,
or by a child of this logger object. This allows us to:
    *   Leave all settings of the root logger object alone, so that we are friendly to any
parent or child processes that are not part of the application, allowing them to safely manage
their own overriding logging setup.
    *   Modify the settings of logging throughout the entire application via a single simple
point of control.

Cheers,
Luke Maycock
OLIVER WYMAN
luke.maycock@affiliate.oliverwyman.com<mailto:luke.maycock@affiliate.oliverwyman.com>
www.oliverwyman.com<http://www.oliverwyman.com/>

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you received
this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message
and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing
or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return
e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.