airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Aiming for an Apache release 1st week of September?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 05:16:04 GMT
Here are more details on Apache release requirements:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

http://www.apache.org/dev/release

To summarize, it's much more focused on compliance with licensing, signing
and Apache infrastructure requirements.  That's the kind of scrutiny that
a release candidate will get from the Incubator PMC rather than deep
testing for verification of new features or bug fixes.

For that reason, I think it makes sense for a podling's first Apache
release to focus on nothing but those ASF policy requirements.  It's
completely normal for a podling's early release candidates to have a few
false starts that get voted down, because the policies are complex the
first time around.  Some projects have found it helpful to write a "How to
Release" web page during the first release, so that they have step-by-step
notes to follow during subsequent releases.  Focusing on "latest stable"
with a few additional patches sounds like a great plan to me, because it
decouples the challenges of your first ASF release from other software
development pressures, such as pressure from a user base to ship a new
feature quickly.

Regarding the LGPL question, in general, the answer is that we are
prohibited from redistributing any LGPL component, but it's acceptable to
have a soft dependency on an LGPL component, such that a user could deploy
the LGPL component separately to enable additional optional features.
More details are here:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited

A specific example of this is Apache Hadoop's integration with LZO
compression, which uses a GPL license.  Hadoop does not redistribute LZO
or include any code that is tightly coupled to it, but the Hadoop codebase
does have a notion of a pluggable CompressionCodec, with implementations
of the interface discoverable at runtime.  This setup supports users
downloading and installing a separate LZO integration library onto
Hadoop's classpath.

--Chris Nauroth