airflow-dev mailing list archives

From George Leslie-Waksman <geo...@cloverhealth.com>
Subject Re: UTC everywhere requirement
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 23:10:48 GMT
There are three common ways of handling timezones: 1) use timezone aware
datetime objects, 2) use timezone naive datetime objects and make sure any
system running your software has its clock set toUTC, or 3) be very, very
sad because have potentially inconsistent times in your logs, scheduling,
etc.

Airflow uses timezone naive datetime objects everywhere so you're stuck
with option 2 or option 3.

Historically, handling timezones has been a pain so most people try to go
with option 2. I would argue that it's gotten easy enough in Python that it
would be worth moving airflow to timezone aware datetime objects and making
everything a little bit easier/safer from a DevOps perspective.