airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Maxime Beauchemin <maximebeauche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airflow Contributors Meeting (June 01, 2016) : Minutes
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 19:23:20 GMT
Hi,

We had notes to share on our side as well, sorry they're coming a bit late.
They are complementary to Sid's notes so I thought we'd share them here:

*>>*
*Participants*
Maxime Beauchemin
Bolke de Bruin
Dan Davydov
Paul Yang
Arthur Wiedmer
Swaroop Jagadish
Gurer Kiratli
Jeremiah Lowin
Chris Riccomini
Siddharth Anand
Paul Hordes

*Meeting Notes*

   - Talked about pain points, here are the identified pain points:
      - We had to rollback releases two in the most release. Then we had to
      dive deeper in the logs for diagnosing issues and trying to work with the
      owners of the changes to fix the problems.
      - There is not enough unit and end to end testing. Airbnb becomes the
      only end to end testing environment.
      - Some PRs were rushed. Merges happened w/o review.

   - What should be the process around taking ambitious amount of work to
   the Core?
   - Have a design document hence have a soft lock on the area as in people
      are aware that you are working on this core area of Airflow. Solicit this
      thru the dev-list.
      - Not all the work can have a meaningful design document in the
      beginning sometimes you have to get your hands on the code. In
these cases
      the PRs can be accepted as design documents. However be ready to have the
      PR to be rejected as easily as a design document.
      - Folks who are undertaking work in the core has to make sure
      appropriate unit and end to end tests are available if not the
scope should
      include creation of those.
      - Get PR reviews and approval from at least 2 committers. Do not
      merge-then-review.
   - For all the changes if there is not enough unit and end to end testing
   the committer should cherry pick that change into their branch and run in
   their production.
   - All PRs need to have a committer champion it to be reviewed and merged.
   - We should feel comfortable saying No on the non-priority improvements.
   - Discussed forking however this doesn't seem to be the right thing for
   all the parties. In Airbnb's case there is a significant interest in
   maintaining a healthy community and Airbnb running on a separate fork will
   not be good for the community.
   - Releases should be community driven. Committers should probably
   release together.
   - We will have to revisit our roadmap. One deliverable that we need
   focus on is an end to end testing framework.