airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremiah Lowin <jlo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Voting Changes for Scheduler-related PRs/Commits
Date Sat, 14 May 2016 15:52:45 GMT
Hi all,

I've been out of email/phone range for a few days (and will be for a few
more, just have brief access now) so I'm just catching up on all the
activity.

I think this proposal has its heart in the right place. There's a lot of
effort that goes in to the Apache transition and for the Airbnb team in
particular (though truly for everyone) it introduces a regime change in
terms of process and workflow. As a result, I think it feels like we are
stretched a little thin and there's a legitimate concern that major changes
could slip by with unintended consequences (I've been on both sides of that
already :) )

However, I believe that the good work we are doing to formalize procedures
and documentation and make development discussion more open will counteract
that in the near future and eliminate it shortly thereafter. Therefore, I
do trust the "Apache way" and I think after a few growing pains it will
really work smoothly. I agree that we should just all recognize when we are
touching "sensitive areas" of Airflow and allow those changes to bake a
little longer to ensure that many eyes get on them.

As a concrete example, I know I'm on Bolke's list because of my perceived
knowledge of the scheduler's inner workings. And while I wont necessarily
dispel those rumors, the truth is that I acquired that knowledge simply by
being tasked with certain deep-rooted bug reports and PRs. There could be a
commit tomorrow that renders a lot of that obsolete and produces a new
"scheduler guru". My point is that knowledge is fluid, especially at this
stage, and I believe the best (and most robust) thing we can do is share
and democratize it as much as possible.

So that's just a long way of saying: we know what a "big" change looks
like, and let's just make sure we have lots of talented committers
evaluating them :)