airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Voting Changes for Scheduler-related PRs/Commits
Date Thu, 12 May 2016 20:39:44 GMT
Hey Sid-
   Thanks for the discussion.  It's a good chance to the new
contributors to get more experience with the ASF.

   Unfortunately, what you propose is not possible in ASF.  As a
meritocracy, ASF does not recognize individual's employers (or lack
thereof).  Merit is earned by the individual and follows them as they
move from organization to organization.  This is true even for
podlings.  Employees of certain organizations are not given extra
power over a project or vote due to their relationship with the
employer.

   ASF does recognize that at times people will be representing their
employer (with my $EMPLOYER hat on, is a common way of expressing
this), but expects that everyone is acting in the best interest of the
project.

-Jakob

On 12 May 2016 at 12:58, Siddharth Anand <sanand@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks!As many of you know, Apache Airflow (incubating) came from Airbnb, where it
currently still represents the largest Airflow deployment. Airflow entered the Apache Incubator
shortly over a month ago but still depends on Airbnb's production deployment to vet its release
candidates. As Airflow's adoption increases, we expect to leverage multiple companies in conjunction
with Apache Infra resources to vet some of the more performance critical pieces of the code
base (e.g. scheduler). We're not there yet.
> So, for future commits and PRs involving the scheduler (and possibly other components,
e.g. executors), I propose a 2 vote system : at least 1 vote from an Airbnb committer and
at least 1 vote from a non-Airbnb committer, separate from the PR author. This will more readily
stabilize the Airbnb production system that we rely on to vet and cut releases, speeding up
our release cycle.