airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Nakandala <supun.nakand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Evaluating Helix as the task execution framework
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2017 04:47:21 GMT
Hi Dimuthu,

I think this is great progress.

I would like to know whether you have already considered about the failure
scenarios too?

Specifically, I am curious about how you handle
 1. Task fails. This can happen due to several reasons. 1. invalid
configurations(e.g. SSH keys) and inputs 2. downstream system issues such
as network and file system failures 3. task fails due to other reasons(OOM,
OS kills, etc..)
 2. What will happen if a Helix participant fails?
 3. What will happen if one of the scheduler or event sink fails while
processing a request?

Also, it's not clear to me where will the workflow execution logic will
run. I see that the feedback loop of events is going back to the API server
and not to the schedulers. Shouldn't the scheduler get this information
back (for example if a task fails it will have to resubmit)?

Thank you.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:06 AM, DImuthu Upeksha <dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com