airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata test failures in Jenkins?
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2017 17:39:26 GMT
Hi Gourav,

> On Nov 1, 2017, at 11:58 PM, Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh <goshenoy@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Suresh,
>
> I forgot to mention another point – about using containerized RabbitMQ for unit testing
– I am not very confident about that approach. Having an in-memory broker for unit/integration
testing our Airavata code will help avoid the underlying dependency of Docker availability.
Please let me know your views.

That was the original idea. Similar to Derby for database and Embedded zookeeper for tests,
the intent was to use Apache Qpid. But since that will take more time to integrate I suggested
the docker approach. But I am +0 for either of these it will be nice to see we put some focus
back on getting Jenkins tests reliably working.

Suresh

> Thanks and Regards,
> Gourav Shenoy
>
> On 11/1/17, 11:51 PM, "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <goshenoy@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>    Hi Marcus/Suresh,
>
>    After our discussion at Gateways conference, I was looking at possible solutions to
this RabbitMQ unit-test problem. Apache QPID [1] is a really good choice for building an in-memory
broker for testing MQ based code.

>    The reason for using QPID is because RabbitMQ does not have an in-memory implementation,
and rather requires deploying the RabbitMQ application for brokering messages. QPID on the
other hand is a message oriented middleware (MOM) similar to RabbitMQ, with the ability to
communicate multiple AMQP protocol versions. The reason I highlight this point, is because
AMQP – a different MOM implementation with in-memory message broker – supports only version
1.0 of the AMQP protocol, whereas RabbitMQ runs on version 0.9.1.

>    I am working through some prototyping of QPID [2]. I will keep posting my updates.
>
>    [1]  https://qpid.apache.org/
>    [2] https://tamasgyorfi.net/2016/04/21/writing-integration-tests-for-rabbitmq-based-components/
>
>    Thanks and Regards,
>    Gourav Shenoy
>
>    On 11/1/17, 1:10 PM, "Suresh Marru" <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>
>        Hi Marcus,
>
>        The issue was the test cases require RabbitMQ. So the test fail. I think the way
to reproduce this issue is to shutdown rabbitmq on your laptop and get maven build working.
Once we get that, we should probably re-enable Jenkins.

>        One solution might be to use dockerized rabbitmq as you did for thrift.
>
>        Thanks for willing to look into this,
>        Suresh
>
>> On Nov 1, 2017, at 12:40 PM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Dev,
>>
>> I vaguely recall that there is some issue with running the airavata testsuite in
Jenkins and we ended up disabling it.  Is there an issue for the problems faced, or any pointers?
I’m interested in digging into this problem.