airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <goshe...@indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Working on Load Balancers
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 19:39:33 GMT
Hi Jerrin,

Avoiding a single point of failure for the load balancer is tricky. But typically, a good
approach is to have multiple load balancers (for HA) and a floating IP which maps to an “active”
load balancer – this is assuming we have an Active-Passive type HA cluster for the load
balancer. Container orchestration engines such as Kubernetes/DCOS provide such features out-of-the-box;
same goes with public clouds such as AWS or GCE. Privately managed cloud like OpenStack will
need some complex configuring to enable such DNS mapping.

Hope this helps!

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

From: Jerrin Suresh <jerrinsuresh@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:31 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org" <dev@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Working on Load Balancers

The main idea of implementing a load balancer is to balance the load to the portal and remove
any single point of failure. However, after implementing the load balancer, the load balancer
itself becomes a single point of failure.

Any thoughts regarding the same? Should we have multiple load balancers involved, i.e a master
and a slave or a dual master setup?

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu<mailto:machrist@iu.edu>>