airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <goshe...@indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [FALL-2017] Dockerizing Airavata PGA
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 15:57:00 GMT
Hi Hitesh,

Yes, starting different components in respective containers is an ideal approach. The PR link
contains a README which explains how to build individual images for different components.
The Dockerfile has been abstracted to take the component name as a parameter during “docker
build –t <component>”.

Regarding the configurations, you can also try leveraging Docker environment variables during
docker container startup, and similarly link containers to achieve component-to-component
communication using a hostname. I agree it’s not the best approach, because in the long
run when we scale containers and add High Availability, we will need to add service level
load-balancers. The good news though, performing container linking and referencing components
using hostnames (a.k.a service names), will allow us to fully exploit default load balancing
features provided by nearly all orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes, DC/OS, Swarm,
etc.

Let me know if you need help.

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

From: Hitesh Kumar Dasika <hdasika@umail.iu.edu>
Date: Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 2:24 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org" <dev@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: [FALL-2017] Dockerizing Airavata PGA

2.  The second thing is default configurations which need to be copied. There are many conf
files and there are placeholders in those which are replaced by ansible. Whereas in Docker
container creation, such configurations need to be copied without placeholders into the containers.
To achieve this, my plan is to include a volume which is mounted to the container and that
volume will have all the configuration files in it. The user will have the option to change
configurations in those files.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

@Gourav
The PR contains a single dockerfile for all the services. But won't it be good if there are
different containers with different components in them? This approach will also be helpful
for orchestration

Regards

Hitesh Kumar Dasika