airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] enables writes to Airavata GitHub mirror
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:39:40 GMT
Hi All,

Thanks for the discussion and inputs on this thread. Since there is a general agreement (and
no opposition), I made an INFRA request to make this switch. You can track it here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/agent/INFRA/issue/INFRA-15142 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/agent/INFRA/issue/INFRA-15142>

Cheers,
Suresh

> On May 22, 2017, at 1:16 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All.
>
> ASF has been experimentally allowing GitHub mirrors to enable write’s. Currently Airavata’s
GitHub mirror is read-only and committers have to push the code to ASF’s canonical git.
After discussing the feasibility and current status of this experiment with ASF Infrastructure
team at apachecon 2017, I would like to propose we request Airavata mirrors also be write
enabled. Here is a brief list of pros and cons:

> Pros:
> - Write enabled GitHub mirrors will allow us to use a simpler workflow of merging pull
requests. Currently the steps are outlines at [1] and [2], Instead it will be [3].
> - With more developers familiar with GitHub workflows, we can hopefully receive more
contributions.
> - Accept contributions at a faster rate.
> - Potentially consider adopting every commits to go through pull requests (this a separate
discussion topic).
> - Can setup Jenkins builds so all pull requests get automatically built and initiate
the merge process only after CI succeeds.
> - In the future consider automated merges based on number of +1’s or based on number
of tests passed and so forth.

> Cons:
> - This is still an experimental capability and we will be one of early projects (certainly
not the first) to get on board, there could be potentially bugs.
> - Technically speaking, both ASF and GitHub will accept writes, but we have to pick one
as canonical for Airavata. This might be confusing, but with clear instructions we could clarify.

> - When GitHub has outage, we should manually switch to ASF canonical repos and push and
hope the synchronization works. This could potentially lead to inconsistencies, but the downtimes
of GitHub seems to be minimal.
> - To merge the code to GitHub, Committers and PMC members have to enable 2 factor authentication
on their GitHub account [4] and ensure GitHub user name is specified in id.apache.org <http://id.apache.org/>,
verify if everything is setup correctly at [5].