airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Apoorv Palkar <apoorv_pal...@aol.com>
Subject Re: Implementation of JPA
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 14:36:18 GMT
After talking to marcus/marlon, I've decided to go with just the JDBC implementation. I just
need the ability to read/write to the MySQL DB. I didn't want to spend too much time learning
the material required for JPA.

Palkar.

--shoutout Marcus

-----Original Message-----
From: Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh <goshenoy@indiana.edu>
To: dev <dev@airavata.apache.org>
Sent: Tue, Aug 1, 2017 10:31 am
Subject: Re: Implementation of JPA

Hi Apoorv,

Well it’s difficult to say which one is absolutely better over the other. But yes, generally
Hibernate is considered to be more optimized for Persistence/Retrieval on average for large
number of entities. Hibernate also offers more utility methods which at times simplifies the
extra code you would have to write in OpenJPA. But I have used OpenJPA for a long enough time,
and once you get beyond learning the functionalities you realize that it’s easier to deal
with a minimal set of annotations in OpenJPA; whereas Hibernate has some extra wrapper annotations.

An important consideration is compatibility – OpenJPA annotations are certain to work with
most JPA implementations, but not vice-versa. This plays a big role when you want to switch
your JPA implementations (generally does not happen). Having said that, Hibernate has way
more documentation and helpful sources online – if you’re facing any issues, etc.

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy