airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <goshe...@indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Apache Airavata's Sharing Service
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:37:21 GMT
Hi Sneha,

Thanks for the elaborate email detailing the requirements. I had 2 questions/need clarifications:

1.       You mentioned building a new Django UI for accessing the sharing service ā€“ how
will this be integrated with the existing Laravel based PGA portal? Will this sharing service
portal be redirected to from the PGA portal? Please correct me if Iā€™m getting something
wrong here.

2.       Have we decided to create a separate SDK service (similar to profile-service) for
sharing? If yes, then how do you plan to go ahead with the Thrift data models ā€“ use existing
or create new? Also, if I followed the discussion correctly, we plan on using the sharing-registry
directly via the service and not create local database (which would need event based replication)
right?

Once again, great work and excellent progress!

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

From: Sneha Tilak <sneha.tilak26@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org" <dev@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Apache Airavata's Sharing Service

Hi dev,

After meeting with Marcus and Supun, the following was decided:

1. A new UI (Django) with Python controllers to the backend.
2. Refer to Grouper APIs and UI for reference (but improvise on the UI as Grouper is very
boring).
3. Implement group management with basic functionalities such as add, view, modify, etc.
4. Consider only flat groups for now (we can move on to nested groups eventually).
5. The UI will directly call the sharing registry service of Airavata.
6. Once the functionality is implemented, we can move on to authorization and other security
aspects.

There are two use cases to be considered:

1. User, once logged in, can view the groups they are the owner of (with view and edit options)
and the groups they are a member of (with view and leave group options) and they can also
create a group after which they can add users to the group (similar to the sharing feature
for experiments in PGA).
2. Admin, once logged in, can perform similar operations (like the User) and also some additional
operations like creating an interface, etc.

I have decided to start with Django and understand the UI implementation for Internet2 Grouper.

Let me know if anyone has any concerns or suggestions regarding the above.

Regards,
Sneha Tilak

Regards,
Sneha Tilak