airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Apoorv Palkar <apoorv_pal...@aol.com>
Subject Using Redis or Zookeeper for Email Monitoring
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:59:48 GMT
Hey Dev,

I'm working on the email monitoring system for Airavata. Currently I'm trying to solve the
problem of done emails coming before start emails and making the system scalable. Today, we
have only one GFaC that handles the email monitoring system. As we are moving towards a microservices
approach from the monolithic code we have, this email monitoring system also needs to adapt
to these changes. Currently, in the gfac code, a concurrent hashmap is kept to keep track
of start/end of emails using their respective experiment ID's. Instead of keeping the hashmap
locally, we should keep it in a global state so in the future multiple GFaCs can handle the
map. Supun has suggested to use Zookeeper for this as it has high avaliability and realibility.
I was also thinking that since these experiment IDs are a key value pair, Redis would be a
good option for such a use case. What do you guys think about each one. I understand airavata
currently uses zookeeper, so development wise there seems to be an edge toward it. Would Redis
be a good for such use case?

-- shoutout Marcus.