airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Mayank Jaglan"<mjag...@umail.iu.edu>
Subject [#Spring17-Airavata-Courses]: [Debugging applications with Vagrant Boxes] Setting up an automated production like local development environment (part-3)
Date Sat, 06 May 2017 18:35:17 GMT
Hello Dev.

In previous email thread (part-2), I explored proper tool for IDE Integration of Docker and
Vagrant.

For automated local development and testing, one of the approach I am considering here is
to "Run Ansible Playbooks on top of Vagrant Box".  And for Vagrant integration with IDE, I
am continuing the use of Eclipse Vagrant Tooling (and Jetbrains Vagrant Plugin) .

For debugging deployed code base in Vagrant box following approaches are considered until
now -
---- Login to vagrant box in order to inspect processes manually.
---- Set up shared folders in vagrantfile. This shared folder is a centralized persistent
space on disk available for read from the host machine.
----  Attach your IDE's debugger to a running process which is inside the vagrant box, for
remote debugging.
---- Debugging output from Ansible and Vagrant (for Ansible Provisioning in Vagrant)

This work is posted on my blog - https://mjaglan.github.io/docs/devops-for-airavata.html
Under the Topic: Run Ansible Playbooks on top of Vagrant Box

I am looking for some discussion on what could be the better approaches for local debugging
of deployed code base in Vagrant box when Ansible Provisioning is included.

Best,
Mayank