airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] enables writes to Airavata GitHub mirror
Date Fri, 26 May 2017 13:12:01 GMT
Any further thoughts from any one for or against?

Or any objections to move forward to make a INFRA request to make this change?

Hi Marcus,

> On May 23, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On May 23, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Yes and No. From a git (rather git pubsub) perspective yes both the repos allow writes
and they synchronize with post commit hooks. But we should avoid writing to both since there
could be code conflicts and the commits (reactionary to hooks) could fail which will need
manual intervention to clear the clutter. So its better to pick one repo as the primary write
and the other one only when primary one is unavailable.

> Can we turn off writes to the apache repo so that it’s not possible for there to be
conflicts?

I think that may not be desirable and ASF might not want to fully depend on a third party
commercial service as the only write only repo. We can watch the commits and slowly educate
all committers to only use GitHub as the write (except when it is down).

Suresh