airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Bhargava Vadlamani <bharv...@umail.iu.edu>
Subject Re: Reg Installation Prequisite Automation
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 14:27:54 GMT
Hello Marcus,

These are the inferences I have made from the installation of Airavata on my local Mac OS
system.

1) The configuration of mcrypt extension over php:
The tutorial mentioned doesn’t take into account of several Mac OS versions.Added, one doesn’t
need to do it manually while the related work has been done in homebrew.
2)Configuring Apache:
If we could tweak (uncomment) all the basic configuration of Apache server.
3)Installing PGA.This can also be automated by Python.

In essence, I am thinking of leveraging native Python without dependencies on other tools.The
only tool required (in case of Mac OS) is homebrew.Added,If I could complete this script by
Friday , it would be helpful for developers to install Airavata at ease(hopefully).

Please provide valuable suggestions.

Thank you

> On May 11, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 12:26 AM, Bhargava Vadlamani <bharvadl@umail.iu.edu <mailto:bharvadl@umail.iu.edu>>
wrote:

>> Hello Folks,
>>
>> I am planning to develop a faster automated Python 2x script for easier installation
of prerequisites such as mcrypt,MySQL,configuring MySQL and Apache systems and configuring
PGA.

>> The primary idea is to release a version 1.0 automating the process over Mac Systems.I
will be extending this to Ubuntu Systems once this is done.

>> Added, I have also planned to update the current existing documentation.
>>
>> i would be happy to receive valuable suggestions/improvements
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Bhargava Vadlamani
>>

> Hello Bhargava,
>
> I thought I would provide some pointers to related work and recent discussions/thoughts
on this topic.  We currently have Ansible playbooks for installing Airavata and PGA: https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/master/dev-tools/ansible
<https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/master/dev-tools/ansible>. These playbooks
work well on CentOS 7. Some work has been done on the PGA role to make it work on Ubuntu as
well.

> The playbooks don’t work on macOS however.  We’ve discussed and have done some work
on running the Ansible playbooks on a Vagrant managed VM as a way to install Airavata locally
on a developer’s laptop.  See recent Spring 2017 course discussions, for example [1].

> But that approach could certainly benefit from additional work and refinement.  I think
a python script that would automate some of the setup needed to run Ansible playbooks on a
Vagrant managed VM would be helpful.