airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reg Development of Pip package for Apache Airavata installation
Date Mon, 22 May 2017 16:33:15 GMT
Hi Bhargava,

Can you point to the code? We very much would like to see you “commit early and commit often”
thats a better way to engage with the community.

Suresh

> On May 22, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Bhargava Vadlamani <bharvadl@umail.iu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the great interest shown in this regard.I will write a tech spec and share
the document with you by the end of 23rd,the Tuesday.

> @Randy, Is it okay if I first develop the package for Mac Users so that you can start
testing and contribute valuable comments over the same while I work on Linux automation?

> @Marcus, I will try to get hold of some possible names for the package.Can we go with
the name airavata-pga-install for the dev purposes?I believe once we have a approved version,
we can be more precise and try to figure out a name for the package which can be shared to
the community.Please let me know your comments over this.

> Thank you
>
> Bhargava Vadlamani
>

>> On May 22, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Heiland, Randy <heiland@iu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Happy to be an additional tester for the pip pkg when it’s ready.
>>
>> -Randy
>>
>>> On May 22, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu>
wrote:

>>> Bhargava,
>>>
>>> +1 for a pip package although I think we’ll need to think carefully when choosing
a name for the package. ‘airavata’ is far too general.  Maybe ‘airavata-pga-installer’?

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Marcus

I would like to extend the script to install the same on ubuntu systems.Since I have placed
all the necessary configurations (like apache server configs, php, mcrypt, pga, mysql) in
a resources.xml file, I believe that a simple extension for the xml file would do the job
in ubuntu systems as well where systems choose ubuntu related configurations and commands.

“pip install airavata” for installation in Ubuntu and Mac OS X systems.The reason to choose
pip was to make it more generalized and platform independent over homebrew.