airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] enables writes to Airavata GitHub mirror
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 14:44:34 GMT

> On May 23, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu> wrote:
>
> +1 for enabling writes on GitHub
>
>> On May 22, 2017, at 1:16 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> When GitHub has outage, we should manually switch to ASF canonical repos and push
and hope the synchronization works

> Would this work? Will there be bidirectional synchronization?

Yes and No. From a git (rather git pubsub) perspective yes both the repos allow writes and
they synchronize with post commit hooks. But we should avoid writing to both since there could
be code conflicts and the commits (reactionary to hooks) could fail which will need manual
intervention to clear the clutter. So its better to pick one repo as the primary write and
the other one only when primary one is unavailable.

Suresh