airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reg Installation Prequisite Automation
Date Fri, 12 May 2017 00:35:31 GMT
Hi Bhargava,

This is good direction. I am wondering if you can write up a Home Brew Package itself so you
can do “brew install airavata” and “brew install airavata-pga”

Suresh

> On May 11, 2017, at 10:27 AM, Bhargava Vadlamani <bharvadl@umail.iu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Marcus,
>
> These are the inferences I have made from the installation of Airavata on my local Mac
OS system.

> 1) The configuration of mcrypt extension over php:
> The tutorial mentioned doesn’t take into account of several Mac OS versions.Added,
one doesn’t need to do it manually while the related work has been done in homebrew.
> 2)Configuring Apache:
> If we could tweak (uncomment) all the basic configuration of Apache server.
> 3)Installing PGA.This can also be automated by Python.
>
> In essence, I am thinking of leveraging native Python without dependencies on other tools.The
only tool required (in case of Mac OS) is homebrew.Added,If I could complete this script by
Friday , it would be helpful for developers to install Airavata at ease(hopefully).

> Please provide valuable suggestions.
>
> Thank you
>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu <mailto:machrist@iu.edu>>
wrote:

>>> On May 11, 2017, at 12:26 AM, Bhargava Vadlamani <bharvadl@umail.iu.edu <mailto:bharvadl@umail.iu.edu>>
wrote:

>>> Hello Folks,
>>>
>>> I am planning to develop a faster automated Python 2x script for easier installation
of prerequisites such as mcrypt,MySQL,configuring MySQL and Apache systems and configuring
PGA.

>>> The primary idea is to release a version 1.0 automating the process over Mac
Systems.I will be extending this to Ubuntu Systems once this is done.

>>> Added, I have also planned to update the current existing documentation.
>>>
>>> i would be happy to receive valuable suggestions/improvements
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Bhargava Vadlamani
>>>

>> Hello Bhargava,
>>
>> I thought I would provide some pointers to related work and recent discussions/thoughts
on this topic.  We currently have Ansible playbooks for installing Airavata and PGA: https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/master/dev-tools/ansible
<https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/master/dev-tools/ansible>. These playbooks
work well on CentOS 7. Some work has been done on the PGA role to make it work on Ubuntu as
well.

>> The playbooks don’t work on macOS however.  We’ve discussed and have done some
work on running the Ansible playbooks on a Vagrant managed VM as a way to install Airavata
locally on a developer’s laptop.  See recent Spring 2017 course discussions, for example
[1].

>> But that approach could certainly benefit from additional work and refinement.  I
think a python script that would automate some of the setup needed to run Ansible playbooks
on a Vagrant managed VM would be helpful.