airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Configuring Airavata logging
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2017 20:46:31 GMT
Dev,

I found out today that the log4j.properties we provide in the bin/ directory of the distribution
isn’t used and doesn’t actually configure logging.  I think this should be fixed.

The problem is a little complicated. I put together what I found in issue AIRAVATA-2363 [1].

Mostly it boils down to there being multiple slf4j bindings and we need to decide which binding
we want to use.  See the issue for more information.

I’ll propose we use logback as the runtime logging library and instead of putting a log4j.properties
in the bin/ directory, we put a logback.xml file in the bin/ directory, so that users can
configure logging.  Logback is needed for the Kafka integration, so it seems like a natural
choice.

Are there any problems with doing that?

Thanks,

Marcus