airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Requirements for an updated portal architecture
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 14:03:36 GMT

On Feb 7, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com<mailto:thejaka.amila@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Hi Marcus,

Nice summary of requirements.

Some questions inline.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu<mailto:machrist@iu.edu>>
wrote:
Dev,

I’ve been taking feedback from other Airavata developers and working on requirements for
a next generation architecture for the PGA.  First I’ll list out the requirements as I see
them. Then I will propose what I feel is a best fit for these requirements. Feedback on all
of this is much appreciated.

Requirements

The following is a list of problems we would like to solve by adopting a new web framework.
 A new web framework here means both the backend framework for server side code as well as
the frontend framework for client side code.

I am little confused about the overall organization of the PGA. Isnt backend means Airavata
? (sorry i am outdated on most of the things).

Hi Amila,

Good question, I didn’t define that well. Here, by “backend framework” I mean the web
server, the software the consumes HTTP requests and generates responses.  Backend frameworks
examples: Django, Flask, Spring MVC, Rails, Laravel, etc.  The frontend framework is the JavaScript
code that runs in the browser and typically communicates with the backend framework to provide
dynamically updating content in the browser.  Frontend frameworks examples: Backbone, React,
Ember, Angular, Vue, etc.

Thanks,

Marcus