airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: [#Spring17-Airavata-Courses] : Distributed Workload Management for Airavata
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2017 14:21:53 GMT
Vidya,

I’m not sure how relevant it is, but it occurs to me that a microservice that executes jobs
on a cloud requires very little in terms of resources to submit and monitor that job on the
cloud. It doesn’t really matter if the job is a “big” or a “small” job.  So I’m
not sure what heuristic makes sense regarding distributing work to these job execution microservices.
 Maybe a simple round robin approach would be sufficient.

I think a job scheduling algorithm does make sense, however, for a higher level component,
some sort of metascheduler that understands what resources are available on the cloud resources
on which the jobs will be running.  The metascheduler could create work for the job exection
microservices to run on particular cloud resources in a way that optimizes for some metric
(e.g., throughput).

Thanks,

Marcus

On Feb 3, 2017, at 3:19 AM, Vidya Sagar Kalvakunta <vkalvaku@umail.iu.edu<mailto:vkalvaku@umail.iu.edu>>