airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierce, Marlon" <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject FW: [sgci-mgmt] Webinar announcement to circulate to XSEDE, Campus Champions, etc.
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:58:57 GMT
Hi all, please see the Webinar announcement below.  This is open to anyone who is interested.

Marlon

--------------

For circulation:

The next SGCI Webinar will take place February 8, 2017, at 1 pm Eastern/10 am Pacific (1 hour).
Register:  http://sciencegateways.org/upcoming-events/webinar-registration/

Creating a developer pipeline by teaching gateway technologies
Presented by Marlon Pierce and Suresh Marru

Do you have trouble recruiting and retaining good gateway developers? Common challenges include
the allure of the cutting-edge commercial sector, academic pay scales, and the specialized
knowledge necessary for development. The Indiana University Science Gateways Research Center
is attempting to turn this challenge into an opportunity by teaching Web-based cyberinfrastructure
systems using concepts and technologies that will benefit students in their non-academic careers.
Such distributed systems require knowledge of both classic and cutting-edge topics, such as
microservices and “DevOps” practices. Meanwhile, the instructors can identify and connect
with promising students while keeping themselves aware of important trends and technologies.
This webinar will provide an overview of the material and concepts that we cover in the class,
describe the student project assignments and class organization, and present outcomes and
student feedback that we have gotten over the last two semesters. We will also discuss possibilities
of making the course material and instruction available to other interested universities.
Course information and material is available from http://courses.airavata.org/.

Our webinars are scheduled on the second Wednesday of each month at 1 pm Eastern/10 am Pacific.
We’ll announce them several weeks before through our newsletter and on our website.