airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: UI Portal - Load Balancing & High availability
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:54:53 GMT

On Jan 21, 2017, at 9:40 PM, Ameya Advankar <aadvanka@umail.iu.edu<mailto:aadvanka@umail.iu.edu>>
wrote:

Hi Airavata Developers,

As a part of the ongoing Advanced Science Gateway Architectures course at IU, we are working
on load balancing the UI Portal. This mail chain is intended to be used for the same.

We briefly discussed 3 load balancing technologies in this weeks classroom session -
1. HAProxy
2. NGINX
3. HAProxy with Consul / Consul-template

The topic is open for discussion.

The following is the Github link to the Portal which will be used -
  https://github.com/airavata-courses/spring17-laravel-portal

Thanks & Regards,
Ameya Advankar

Hello Ameya,

One requirement I have is programmatic control over which instances are being used by a load
balancer. The main use case I have in mind is deploying updated code. Let’s say there are
two portal instances, A and B, that are being load balanced. I would like to create a deploy
script that takes A out of the load balancer, then updates the code deployed to A, and then
enable A in the load balancer again. And then do the same thing with B.

Which of these load balancing technologies support this sort of programmatic control?

Thanks,

Marcus