airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Database Version Control for Airavata
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:57:52 GMT
Thanks Anuj, that makes a lot of sense.

Suresh

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 4:56 PM, Anuj <bhandar.anuj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hello Suresh,
>
> I had gone through the documentation for FlywayDB, Though the docs are not very clear,
here are my observations
>     * FlywayDB doesn't generate delta Scripts like DBDiff does
>     * It is mainly used to run the migration scripts which are already created by some
other means, like the one's we generated using DBDiff

>     * https://flywaydb.org/documentation/migration/sql <https://flywaydb.org/documentation/migration/sql>
- We just point the FlywayDB to a classpath where the scripts are stored, it will run them
accordingly.

> please correct me if I am wrong, FlywayDB can be used along with DBDiff or Liquibase
to bring in automation.

> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Anuj Bhandar
> MS Computer Science
> Indiana University Bloomington
> +1 812 361 9414
>

> On 01/12/2017 04:34 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
>> Hi Anuj,
>>
>> Have you looked at https://flywaydb.org/ <https://flywaydb.org/> ? Its maven
integration caught my attention. Just curios how it compared with the liquibase or dbdiff
you have discussed below.

>> Suresh
>>
>>> On Dec 27, 2016, at 1:31 PM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu <mailto:mmiller@sdsc.edu>>
wrote:

>>> Thanks Anuj, For taking the time to send that, it was super helpful, and answered
my questions.
>>> Mark
>>>   <>

any changes (commit) on DataBase Schema just like GIT, but it will only be useful for future
builds, i.e. if you implement Liquibase in current build, make changes on top of that, then
those changes can be rolled back, in short the version to be rolled back should be present
in the repository. Works just like GIT for source code.

>>> But if you are referring to Airavata's scenario, i.e. we have two version of
DB schema's, one for Development and the other for Production, then a tool like DBDiff (https://github.com/DBDiff/DBDiff
<https://github.com/DBDiff/DBDiff>) compares the two different versions and generates
Delta SQL scripts, which can be run on the DB schema's, DBDiff has the ability to generate
both UP and Down Migration scripts.

>>> I hope that I have answered the question, please revert back if you need further
details.

>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>> Anuj Bhandar
>>> MS Computer Science
>>> Indiana University Bloomington
>>> +1 812 361 9414
>>>
>>> On 12/27/2016 9:19 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron wrote:
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> Anuj might know more about this but I thought I would chime in. I believe this
is something that database migration tools can do. I haven’t tried that though. Here’s
Liquibase’s support for rollback scripts: http://www.liquibase.org/documentation/rollback.html
<http://www.liquibase.org/documentation/rollback.html>

>>> Marcus
>>>
>>> On Dec 25, 2016, at 8:49 AM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu <mailto:mmiller@sdsc.edu>>
wrote:

>>> Hi Anuj,
>>>
>>> Very interesting. I had a question, rather than a vote. We have found (at CIPRES)
that we really wish we had the ability to make DB schema changes and test them and roll them
back if there is an issue with what we tried. I wonder if this is something the new or existing
DBs can do in AIravata?

>>> Mark

problem of migrating our old master database to the new Development database, the effort needed
to manually write migration SQL scripts is huge.
>>> Hence for the current release, I'm relying on DBDiff (http://dbdiff.github.io/DBDiff/
<http://dbdiff.github.io/DBDiff/>) for generating Delta SQL scripts for the entire database
and manually write scripts for complex DB schema changes.
>>> To address the issue in future releases, I propose to implement a database version
control system like Liquibase (http://www.liquibase.org/ <http://www.liquibase.org/>)
for Airavata, this will help automate the creation of delta scripts and also adding additional
functionality like backward compatibility between releases.