airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Anuj Bhandar <bhandar.a...@gmail.com>
Subject Database Version Control for Airavata
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:55:43 GMT
Hello Dev,

Merry Christmas ! Hope you guys are doing good.

As a part of the Airavata 0.17 release, we are faced with a industry
standard problem of migrating our old master database to the new
Development database, the effort needed to manually write migration SQL
scripts is huge.
Hence for the current release, I'm relying on DBDiff
(http://dbdiff.github.io/DBDiff/) for generating Delta SQL scripts for
the entire database and manually write scripts for complex DB schema
changes.

To address the issue in future releases, I propose to implement a
database version control system like Liquibase
(http://www.liquibase.org/) for Airavata, this will help automate the
creation of delta scripts and also adding additional functionality like
backward compatibility between releases.

Please feel to suggest changes and also comment about the products I'm
using to accomplish these tasks.

Thanks and best regards,

*Anuj Bhandar*
MS Computer Science