airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Database Version Control for Airavata
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:19:59 GMT
Mark,

Anuj might know more about this but I thought I would chime in. I believe this is something
that database migration tools can do. I haven’t tried that though. Here’s Liquibase’s
support for rollback scripts: http://www.liquibase.org/documentation/rollback.html

Marcus

On Dec 25, 2016, at 8:49 AM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu<mailto:mmiller@sdsc.edu>>
wrote:

Hi Anuj,

Very interesting. I had a question, rather than a vote. We have found (at CIPRES) that we
really wish we had the ability to make DB schema changes and test them and roll them back
if there is an issue with what we tried. I wonder if this is something the new or existing
DBs can do in AIravata?

Mark

From: Pierce, Marlon [mailto:marpierc@iu.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2016 10:11 AM
To: dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Database Version Control for Airavata

+1 for looking into Liquibase. I’d be interested to hear other opinions.

Marlon

From: Anuj Bhandar <bhandar.anuj@gmail.com<mailto:bhandar.anuj@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>" <dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>>
Subject: Database Version Control for Airavata

Hello Dev,

Merry Christmas ! Hope you guys are doing good.

As a part of the Airavata 0.17 release, we are faced with a industry standard problem of migrating
our old master database to the new Development database, the effort needed to manually write
migration SQL scripts is huge.
Hence for the current release, I'm relying on DBDiff (http://dbdiff.github.io/DBDiff/) for
generating Delta SQL scripts for the entire database and manually write scripts for complex
DB schema changes.

To address the issue in future releases, I propose to implement a database version control
system like Liquibase (http://www.liquibase.org/) for Airavata, this will help automate the
creation of delta scripts and also adding additional functionality like backward compatibility
between releases.

Please feel to suggest changes and also comment about the products I'm using to accomplish
these tasks.

Thanks and best regards,

Anuj Bhandar
MS Computer Science