airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierce, Marlon" <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Database Version Control for Airavata
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:10:55 GMT
+1 for looking into Liquibase. I’d be interested to hear other opinions.

Marlon

From: Anuj Bhandar <bhandar.anuj@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org" <dev@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: Database Version Control for Airavata

Hello Dev,

Merry Christmas ! Hope you guys are doing good.

As a part of the Airavata 0.17 release, we are faced with a industry standard problem of migrating
our old master database to the new Development database, the effort needed to manually write
migration SQL scripts is huge.
Hence for the current release, I'm relying on DBDiff (http://dbdiff.github.io/DBDiff/) for
generating Delta SQL scripts for the entire database and manually write scripts for complex
DB schema changes.

To address the issue in future releases, I propose to implement a database version control
system like Liquibase (http://www.liquibase.org/) for Airavata, this will help automate the
creation of delta scripts and also adding additional functionality like backward compatibility
between releases.

Please feel to suggest changes and also comment about the products I'm using to accomplish
these tasks.

Thanks and best regards,

Anuj Bhandar
MS Computer Science