airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Mark" <mmil...@sdsc.edu>
Subject mesos and moving jobs between clusters
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:05:29 GMT
Hi all,

I posed a question to Suresh (see below), and he asked me to put this question on the dev
list.
So here it is. I will be grateful for any comments about the issues you all are facing, and
what has come up in trying this, as
It seems likely that this is a much simpler problem in concept than it is in practice, but
its solution has many benefits.

Here is my question:
A group of us have been discussing how we might simplify submitting jobs to different compute
resources in our current implementation of CIPRES, and how cloud computing might facilitate
this. But none of us are cloud experts. As I understand it, the mesos cluster that I have
been seeing in the Airavata email threads is intended to make it possible to deploy jobs to
multiple virtual clusters. I am (we are) wondering if Mesos manages submissions to identical
virtual clusters on multiple machines, and if that works efficiently.

In our implementation, we have to change the rules to run efficiently on different machines,
according to gpu availability, and cores per node. I am wondering how Mesos/ virtual clusters
affect those considerations.
Can mesos create basically identical virtual clusters independent of machine?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark