airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Personal compute/storage preferences for campus portals
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 19:27:51 GMT
Suresh,

​I like the distinction between individual and community accounts.  I think scenario #4
is the scenario that we discussed on Monday and said we wouldn't support that right away.

So the way this might look in pga_config.php would be

  'community-account-role-name' => 'gateway-user',  (this replaces 'user-role-name')

  'individual-account-role-name' => 'campus-user'

________________________________
From: Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:38 AM
To: Airavata Dev
Subject: Re: Personal compute/storage preferences for campus portals

Hi Marcus,

I do not have any creative name suggestions, but have general thoughts on the topic.

We have two types of accounts - individual accounts and community accounts and two types of
allocations, again individual and community (gateway). The possibilities of job submission
and data movement are:

1 - individual accounts with no allocation (most campuses employ this approach and let fair
share take care of equitable distribution)
2 - individual accounts using individual allocation (XSEDE like shared infrastructure and
some campuses)
3 - community accounts using community allocation
4 - community accounts using individual allocations (xsede power users who have added community
account to their allocations).

After reading through this thread, seems like your changes will enable 1, 2 and 4. I initially
thought this will only target 1 and 2 scenarios. But the same backend logic can serve scenario
4 as well.

But as you state, the usability issues are the key. For scenario 4, we probably should present
a smaller form with subset of the fields (probably just the allocation/project number).

I agree that resource_owner will be misleading. How about longer and self descriptive names
so there is no disambiguation:

“community_accounts”  - the default option (assumes community allocations) — users will
not be presented with any resource level settings
“individual_accounts” - this can cover both allocation and no allocation scenarios but
using individual accounts.
“community_account_individual_allocation” - just the project number field for scenario
4.

Again, not creative thoughts, so please feel free to ignore.

Suresh

On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:24 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <machrist@iu.edu<mailto:machrist@iu.edu>>