airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <machr...@iu.edu>
Subject Personal compute/storage preferences for campus portals
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2016 18:05:31 GMT
Hello All,

I don't think I've written to this list yet, so let me introduce myself. My name is Marcus
Christie and I work in the Science Gateways Group at IU with Suresh and other Airavata developers.
 I'm looking forward to contributing to Airavata.

I'm currently working on creating a UI in PGA for a portal user to add their own compute and/or
storage resource allocations (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-2117?). I recently
met with Suresh and Eroma to discuss some UI concerns with how this will impact existing users
of PGA that are today using the gateways allocation.  The problem is it could be confusing
for users who don't have their own compute/storage allocations to see the new options in PGA
for adding compute/storage allocations.  Also there are some additional UI concerns if a user
has both the option to use a gateway allocation on a compute resource and also their own personal
allocation (for example, when creating an experiment, does the user have two options for the
compute resource, one with their own allocation and one with the gateway allocation?)

What we decided to do, at least for now, is to add a new role, similar to the gateway user
role ("gateway-user"), that if a user has this new role then they can add their own compute/storage
resource allocations. Also, if they have this new role they can only submit jobs to compute
resource for which they have registered their own resource allocation.

I'm not quite sure what to call the new role. In the meeting we referred to this new role
as a "campus user" role, since that is the use case we are targeting. That doesn't seem generic
enough of a name, is there a better name to give to this role? I'm thinking about adding to
pga_config.php:

  'personal-allocation-user-role-name' => 'campus-user'

I'm open to suggestions on the name of the role.

Thanks,

Marcus

?