airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy-Ehri, Colin Josef" <cscho...@iu.edu>
Subject RE: FW: Docker with Airavata
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2016 02:23:32 GMT
Hi Lahiru,

I’m impressed what Shameera has with all the Ansible playbooks.  A very similar goal could
be accomplished with Docker Container Images and Terraform could also be accomplished with
adding AWS modules to the Ansible playbooks.  Ansible can create EC2 images (1), but I didn’t
see that in the ansible-airiavata playbooks yet.  Let me know if I missed that, Shameera.
  A similar thing could be done with Terraform and Docker – either using Terraform to start
up EC2 instances running internal docker containers, or using the EC2 Container service (which
is lightweight, less expensive, but in my experience trickier).

Maybe this chart can explain it?  Please let me know if I got something wrong, or if you can
add to it.

Ansible

Docker

Ansible w AWS module

Docker w Terraform

Automate deployment configurations

Relatively easy to change configs

?

?

Start or stop EC2 servers with single command

Containerized

Could scale (multiple worker nodes)

?

?

What I meant by spin up multiple containers in one command: I should have said ‘provision’.
 Once terraform configuration files are set up, Terraform can provision AWS instances and
mount and configure Docker instances for each server in the architecture.  It can provision
these EC2 instances in one command, and take them back down with another.  There’s a small
example of using Terraform to spin up EC2 instances here (2).

Because so much work has already been done with the Ansible playbooks, it may be easier to
add AWS support to them rather than try to use Terraform with Docker.  Unless there is a need
for auto-scaling and provisioning.  Is there ever a need for multiple load balanced Airiavata
API servers, or Application Factories?

Thanks,
Colin

(1) http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/guide_aws.html