airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <goshe...@indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Running MPI jobs on Mesos based clusters
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:20:24 GMT
Hi Mangirish,

I have set up a Mesos-Marathon cluster for you on Jetstream. I will share with you with the
cluster details in a separate email. Kindly note that there are 3 masters & 2 slaves in
this cluster.

I am also working on automating this process for Jetstream (similar to Shameera’s ansible
script for EC2) and when that is ready, we can create clusters or add/remove slave machines
from the cluster.

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

From: Mangirish Wagle <vaglomangirish@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org" <dev@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: Running MPI jobs on Mesos based clusters

Hello All,

I would like to post for everybody's awareness about the study that I am undertaking this
fall, i.e. to evaluate various different frameworks that would facilitate MPI jobs on Mesos
based clusters for Apache Airavata.

Some of the options that I am looking at are:-

  1.  MPI support framework bundled with Mesos
  2.  Apache Aurora
  3.  Marathon
  4.  Chronos
Some of the evaluation criteria that I am planning to base my investigation are:-

  *   Ease of setup
  *   Documentation
  *   Reliability features like HA
  *   Scaling and Fault recovery
  *   Performance
  *   Community Support
Gourav and Shameera are working on ansible based automation to spin up a mesos based cluster
and I am planning to use it to setup a cluster for experimentation.

Any suggestions or information about prior work on this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Mangirish Wagle