airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 01:19:51 GMT
Hi Gav,

When I change Airavata job from latest1.8 to JDK 1.8 (latest) an extra -XX shows up in command
and the build fails. Any guidance on a fix?

Modules changed, recalculating dependency graph
Established TCP socket on 47606
maven32-agent.jar already up to date
maven32-interceptor.jar already up to date
maven3-interceptor-commons.jar already up to date
[Airavata] $ /home/jenkins/tools/java/latest1.8/bin/java -Xmx2g -Xms256m -XX -cp /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven32-agent.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/latest3/boot/plexus-classworlds-2.5.2.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/latest3/conf/logging
jenkins.maven3.agent.Maven32Main /home/jenkins/tools/maven/latest3/ /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/slave.jar
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven32-interceptor.jar /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-interceptor-commons.jar
47606
Unrecognized option: -XX
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
ERROR: Failed to launch Maven. Exit code = 1

Thanks,
Suresh

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 8:13 PM, Gav <gmcdonald@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Hello PMCs,

consolidate JDK versions in
> our Jenkins instance. I gave 7 days notice. (Anyone configuring builds should be subscribed
to the builds@
> mailing list)
>
> Today I find that there are still :-
>
> 109 jobs configured to use the 'latest1.8'
> 67 jobs configured to use the 'latest1.7'
> 7 jobs configured to use the 'latest 1.6'
>
> 45 jobs configured to use '1.8.0_66'
> 4 jobs configured to use '1.8.0_05'
> 4 jobs configured to use '1.8.0_11'
>

> This wider distribution email to all PMC private lists is to let you know I'm going to
delay the migration for '3 more days'

Infrastructure" <infrastructure@apache.org <mailto:infrastructure@apache.org>>

> Hi All,
>
> So 99% of our Jenkins build machines are now puppetised with our configs in our Git repos.

> Going forward this should make things easier to maintain the software (and versions of)
on the nodes.

> I went through all the JDK drop down options available in the Jenkins UI when
> creating a build.The Confluence wiki page at :-
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix>

> lists all them all. When choosing a version to use I hope that this information will

> prove useful - any changes made we will keep this page upto date.
> However, some are not currently installed on the new puppetised
> slaves (on purpose) and others we intend to consolidate down to fewer versions.
>
> In contrast, we will be able to make newer release versions available quicker.
>
> Once we are done with the JDKs, we'll move on to Maven, and then the rest.
>
> Ok to specifics,
>
> First major change to get out of the way is the removal of the 'auto install' JDK
> versions. They overlap with installed versions and going forward we would rather
> manage installation via Puppet and roll them out to all slaves in one hit.
>
> Looking at the table in the linked wiki page above, this means we'll be removing
> eight (8) drop down options , 5 of those jdk 8, 2 x jdk 7 and 1 x jdk 6.
> To avoid confusion we'll also be removing the auto install 'latest1.6' 'latest1.7' and
'latest1.8' options.

> The best options for 'latest' versions is the ones at the top of the table 'JDK 1.x (Latest)'

> which are all installed on all nodes and managed via puppet.
>
> I'll point out also that we have installed 'unlimited security' versions of 1.6,1.7,1.8
jdks.

> Very recent addition is also that of the JDK 9 b128 Early Access Build. We hope you enjoy

so we can pass it on - but certainly do not plan to base your releases on these 'ea' builds.
I'll try my best to add new ea builds as they come through.

> Last ones to mention are the IBM and Harmony versions. I'm not sure how much in use
> these are so I'm holding off on installing these for now. Please do ask for a specific
version
> if needed. I'll drop the from the UI in time.
>
> I intend to drop all the auto-install versions (they are 1.6u45, 1.7u45, 1.7u51, 1.8.0_05,
1.8.0_11, 1.8.0_45, 1.8.0_25, 1.8.0_66) 7 days from now, along with the auto install latest
links. Please plan