airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerai...@gmail.com>
Subject Suggesting to have one Airavata Distribution for all components.
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:53:18 GMT
Hi Devs,

Today, Airavata has set of distributions, one for each compoent and
all-in-one distribution which has all components. Airavata support
different deployment models.Thus user can deploy Airavata component in any
combination, for an example one of our current production deployment has
two instances, one instance with api-server and orchestrator components
runs in same JVM and other instance with gfac component. Airavata has
capability to support any kind of deployment depend on use-case.

Here I would like to suggest to have one distribution yet it preserve the
existing deployment flexibility. Instead of having different startup-script
for each distributions we can have one startup-script with different
commands eg: sh airavata-server-start.sh <Component name or names to be
started on same JVM> , airavata-server-stop.sh <Component Names to be
Stoped>.Most of the popular multi component product use this approach, ex:
Apache Spark, Apache Storm. With time Airavata will have few more
components(registry, monitoring, cloud prvisioining, data analatic) and
this approach provide an easy way instead of having different distributions
for each component which is hard to maintain and not user friendly.

This approach desn't add unnecessary overhead to server startup and runtime
as Java doesn't load all jars in class path instead it load all the
necessary jars at rutime. I would like to know others opinion about this
and happy to get feedbacks.

Thanks,
Shameera.

--