airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffery Kinnison <Jeffery.D.Kinniso...@nd.edu>
Subject Planning for In-Situ Application and Resource Monitoring [GSoC Project]
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:08:52 GMT
Hi Dev Team,

I'd like to develop a plan for implementing my GSoC project in conjunction
to getting my development environment up and running. This is my first
substantial experience with Open Source software development on this scale,
so thank you in advance for bearing with me.

The full project proposal can be found at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/GSoC+Proposal+-+In+Situ+Simulation+Analysis+Using+Airavata

The idea is to allow Airavata users to look behind the curtain at jobs they
are running and enable automatic response to conditions encountered as jobs
run, both at the system and application level. This will likely require a
lightweight server to run alongside each job, which will communicate with
the Airavata server.

I have a prototype for the lightweight server (
https://github.com/jeffkinnison/simstream) written in Python, however I
know that Apache software is typically Java-based. The question here is one
of whether or not the prototype can be rolled into Airavata, or if I need
to begin looking into Java-based solutions.

The other initial question I have is one of how the Airavata server submits
jobs. From what I can tell, Airavata sends batch scripts to connected
computing resources, and my thinking right now about how to deploy the
lightweight server is to add its startup logic to the submit scripts. Is
this the correct thinking?

Again, thank you for answering these questions, and I'm looking forward to
working with everyone this summer.

Best,
Jeff K.