airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planning for In-Situ Application and Resource Monitoring [GSoC Project]
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:20:45 GMT
Hi Jeff,

> On Apr 27, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Jeffery Kinnison <Jeffery.D.Kinnison.1@nd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Dev Team,
>
> I'd like to develop a plan for implementing my GSoC project in conjunction to getting
my development environment up and running. This is my first substantial experience with Open
Source software development on this scale, so thank you in advance for bearing with me.

You did great during proposal (hence you have a project), just continue the same. At worse
you will hear a lot of RTFM which is a common encounter in open source. I will let you google
for it.

> The full project proposal can be found at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/GSoC+Proposal+-+In+Situ+Simulation+Analysis+Using+Airavata
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/GSoC+Proposal+-+In+Situ+Simulation+Analysis+Using+Airavata>

> The idea is to allow Airavata users to look behind the curtain at jobs they are running
and enable automatic response to conditions encountered as jobs run, both at the system and
application level. This will likely require a lightweight server to run alongside each job,
which will communicate with the Airavata server.

> I have a prototype for the lightweight server (https://github.com/jeffkinnison/simstream
<https://github.com/jeffkinnison/simstream>) written in Python, however I know that
Apache software is typically Java-based. The question here is one of whether or not the prototype
can be rolled into Airavata, or if I need to begin looking into Java-based solutions.

No, you do not need to port your simstream to Java, infact. Since your application demeon
will need to run on HPC compute nodes, Java will not be a good fit there. I think you should
stick to python. For the communication with Airavata, one suggestion will be to send a AMQP
message which Airavata listens to. You can follow this tutorial as a start - https://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-one-python.html
<https://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-one-python.html>. Others may have different
suggestions.

> The other initial question I have is one of how the Airavata server submits jobs. From
what I can tell, Airavata sends batch scripts to connected computing resources, and my thinking
right now about how to deploy the lightweight server is to add its startup logic to the submit
scripts. Is this the correct thinking?

Yes thats exactly right. As you might see from other discussions, the cloud based submissions
might not have a batch script, but its fair to assume your server will be launched one way
or another.

> Again, thank you for answering these questions, and I'm looking forward to working with
everyone this summer.

Keep them coming.

Suresh