airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierce, Marlon" <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Design of Mesos/Aurora integration with Airavata on Jetstream
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:06:18 GMT
Thanks, Gourav, this is great. How will the design differ in the two cases?

Since installing the applications is not a simple task and there aren’t good docker libraries
(for example) for many of them, I would assume that we would have a collection of VMs that
have the codes already installed.

Marlon

From: Gourav Rattihalli <grattih1@binghamton.edu<mailto:grattih1@binghamton.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 1:01 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>" <dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>>
Subject: Design of Mesos/Aurora integration with Airavata on Jetstream

Hi Dev's,

I have been working on the integration of Apache Aurora and Mesos with Airavata and Jetstream.
Using Mangirish's latest code, VMs can now be created using on Jetstream. I want to understand
how Airavata is likely to use the VMs for applications. Will airavata re-use existing VMs
for successive applications for a given community, or will new VMs be created for each application?
This will decide how we design the automated creation of a Mesos cluster using the new VMs
that are created. I understand that we will have a Mesos master VM that will run all the time
on Jetstream.

Here is the Job submission flow that I am assuming:

Airavata Client--> Airavata Server-->(Orchestrator-->GFAC)-->My-Apache-Aurora-module-->(A
script will create .aurora configuration file that will be used to launch the job)-->Aurora/Mesos-->VMs

So, I will design a module that will work with Orchestrator-->GFAC to generate the appropriate
Apache Aurora script to be submitted to the Aurora master.

Please let me know if there are any comments, suggestions on this plan.

--
Regards,
Gourav Rattihalli