airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excessive instances (vms) created on Jetstream
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:56:45 GMT
Hi Gourav,

That rouge script is me. This is intentional. We are trying to load up the cluster and keep
all ~15,000 cores busy. I fired up 210 extra large instances from a snapshot. The snapshot
"AutoDock Vina Launch at Boot” runs a docking program working through million ligands.

Thanks for noticing these, but no worries, towards end of day I will bring all of them down.

Suresh

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 2:49 AM, Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh <goshenoy@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
> Sorry for oversight, the name of the machines created is “ApacheAiravata”. So it
might not be due to Junit test failure, but some script using the OpenStack client that does
not delete machines. And each machine created also has a floating (public IP) associated,
so there are plenty generated in the pool.

> Thanks and Regards,
> Gourav Shenoy

The name of the machines (AiravataTest) hint that they might have been created via Junit tests
that were written to test the OpenStack implementation, and somehow the machines did not get
deleted on termination of the Junit test case.

> I haven’t counted but there seem to be more than 80 such machines created (~4-5 pages
with 20 machines listed on each). Earlier in the evening as well there were around 20-30 such
machines created which I had deleted. These instances are of size “m1.large” and some
“m1.medium” running for more than 6 hrs.