airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Siddharth Jain <ja...@umail.iu.edu>
Subject Re: [GSoC Proposal] Apache Airavata Monitoring Module
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2016 09:30:43 GMT
Hi Supun,
Thank you for the pointers :)

I have included the high level working/architecture diagram in the final
proposal.

The extension part, what I really meant in there is, the architecture will
be such that, new source/channel of job status updates could be
accommodated in future easily. This actually came up during the discussion
I had with Marlon, Shameera and Suresh. Suresh was like, though right now
we are reading the job status updates from email, there is a possibility in
future we might be getting these updates from some other source, like UDP,
so the architecture of the module I propose to design should be able
extensible, like plug and play. Its like something what we anticipate. So I
have kept that in mind while coming up with the architecture of module,
basically kept each component cohesive. Let me explain it to you with a
diagram.

‚ÄčThe top layer "raw message endpoint" only deals with raw messages. Right
now what we plan to have is just an email fetcher in there, which will
fetch e-mails from various mailboxes. But say we have to support UDP
message tomorrow, what needs to be done is, we need to implement code to
listen to a specific UDP port and collect the raw message in that layer.
Now once we have the raw message, we will pass it  to Job Status Extractor
layer. Job Status Extractor layer will really be like an interface which
has the method extract(), which parses the given raw message (according to
the specific raw message type, so like bunch of extractors for each type of
channel in this layer) and extracts the job status information object. So
an extractor for the specific UDP message needs to be implemented and wired
in the layer. The trick to keep everything underneath this layer unaffected
is that we come up with a common contract for job status information
object, i.e. the basic attributes we need for representing job status
information will always remain same. So the identfier and publisher layers
will be unaffected. I hope this makes sense.

Again, appreciate you taking time out to review my proposal.

Best,
Siddharth Jain