airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GSOC] Apache Airavata Web-Based Workflow Editor
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:02:47 GMT
Hi Menaka,

Since you potentially want to develop, we suggest you work on “develop” branch. If you
run into issues, then “master” branch will be relatively more stable. But start with develop.

Suresh

<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>>, marpierc <marpierc@iu.edu <mailto:marpierc@iu.edu>>,
"smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>" <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>

> Subject: Re: [GSOC] Apache Airavata Web-Based Workflow Editor
>
> Hello Marlon,
>
> I cloned the repository but I was not able to work around with the product in last few
days because of my internship works. So I talked to Sachith Vitharana as he was a contributor
of Airavata project and now working at WSO2. He gave me some introduction to the project and
the functionality.

> With that now I started working with the product and studying it. Also I'm looking forward
to prepare the proposal soon.

> Thank you very much.
> Menaka Madushanka
>
> On 5 March 2016 at 00:53, Eroma Abeysinghe <eroma.abeysinghe@gmail.com <mailto:eroma.abeysinghe@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Marlon,
>
> I added it when Pankaj sent it.
> Forgot to mention
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Pierce, Marlon <marpierc@iu.edu <mailto:marpierc@iu.edu>>
wrote:
> Thanks, Pankaj.  Eroma add this link.
>
> From: Pankaj Saha <psaha4@binghamton.edu <mailto:psaha4@binghamton.edu>>
> Date: Friday, March 4, 2016 at 10:42 AM
> To: dev <dev@airavata.apache.org <mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>>
>
> Subject: Re: [GSOC] Apache Airavata Web-Based Workflow Editor
>
> In the documentation for "PGA-installation"  under the category "PGA Installation on
Ubuntu OS" the pre-installation steps for dependency is pointing to the instruction for centos-7,
which should be "http://www.dev-metal.com/install-laravel-4-ubuntu-12-04-lts/ <http://www.dev-metal.com/install-laravel-4-ubuntu-12-04-lts/>"
or something similar.

> Thanks
> Pankaj
>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Pierce, Marlon <marpierc@iu.edu <mailto:marpierc@iu.edu>>
wrote:
> We have put together some extensive documentation on setting up Airavata in production:
http://airavata.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Airavata-Installation/ <http://airavata.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Airavata-Installation/>
 Our next goal is to significantly simplify these steps, so your (or anyone else’s) suggestions
on this are welcome.

> Marlon
>

> From: Menaka Madushanka <menaka12350@gmail.com <mailto:menaka12350@gmail.com>>
> Date: Friday, March 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM
> To: "dev@airavata.apache.org <mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>" <dev@airavata.apache.org
<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: [GSOC] Apache Airavata Web-Based Workflow Editor
>
> Hello Marlon,
>
> Thank you very much for your response and valuable facts.
> I'll take a look at the code base and resources that you provided....
>
> Thank you very much
> Menaka
>
> On 4 March 2016 at 18:16, Pierce, Marlon <marpierc@iu.edu <mailto:marpierc@iu.edu>>
wrote:
> Hi Menaka and thanks for your interest. Please see the GSOC timeline, https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
<https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline>.  The deadline is not far
off so you will need to develop your proposal very quickly.  I recommend that you review successful
GSOC proposals from last year [1]. [2] was a particularly good proposal with a lot of thought
up front that led to a very successful implementation. I don’t think this was a coincidence.

> Projects should be determined by the student after they carefully review the code and
interact with the developers on the developer list to understand the problem. So I recommend
you start with some more specific questions. It is always also a good idea to see if you can
then answer your own questions after you formulate them, and then confirm your answers on
the developer list.

> Again, we appreciate your interest.  GSOC projects are a unique opportunity to learn
how open source projects work. We are looking for students who are very self-motivated and
capable of articulating the details of their projects.