airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Roger Whitcomb <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject Re: Pivot - Airavata GSOC Project
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:15:45 GMT
Hi Suresh,
    Thanks for answering.  I'd love to mentor someone on such a project.  So, I guess that
means I need to make a project proposal, etc.  So, let me set that in motion, or how do we
coordinate that between the two projects?

Thanks,
~Roger

From: Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:00 AM
To: dev@pivot.apache.org; Airavata Dev
Subject: Pivot - Airavata GSOC Project

Hi Roger,

I am so sorry I started a response to your thread below but it remained in peace in my drafts
folder. I think its timely to resurrect this thread.

I only have superficial understanding of Swing Vs JavaFX vs Pivot. But we are all for dogfooding
indeed Airavata builds on atleast a dozen of other fellow projects. Can we create a GSoC project
and mentor a student to do this evaluation and converge on any solution? Will there be any
volunteers from Pivot to mentor such a project?

Thanks,
Suresh

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 1:31 PM, Roger and Beth Whitcomb <RogerandBeth@rbwhitcomb.com>
wrote:

> Hi Suresh,
>    I was just wondering if it might make sense for the Airavata community to convert
the Swing-based apps to Apache Pivot instead of JavaFX (in the dogfood sense)?!  I, for one,
would be very interested in some cross-project collaboration inside the ASF along these lines.
 No pressure, but was just wondering if that might be interesting to anyone there.

> Thanks,
> ~Roger Whitcomb
>
> On 1/15/16 6:17 AM, Suresh Marru wrote:
>> For students with JavaFX experience, in Apache Airavata projects we intend to have
some GSOC projects on this topics. It will involve porting existing Java Swing based application
to JavaFX. Hop by the dev list (dev@airavata.apache.org <mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>).
Ofcourse you want to subscribe first to make sure you get replies.