airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierce, Marlon" <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Feasibility of using OODT file manager in Airavata
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 15:14:38 GMT
Hi Dimuthu-

In regards to question #2, there should not be any licensing issues.

Marlon

From: DImuthu Upeksha <dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com<mailto:dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 12:40 AM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>" <dev@airavata.apache.org<mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org>>,
"dev@oodt.apache.org<mailto:dev@oodt.apache.org>" <dev@oodt.apache.org<mailto:dev@oodt.apache.org>>
Subject: Feasibility of using OODT file manager in Airavata

Hi all,

I have been working on integrating a file staging server for Apache Airavata as a part of
my GSoC project. Main purpose of doing this is to manage and store input/ output files for
Airavata experiments.

Main use case is as follows.

1. Clients (users) can push input files and metadata to file server (OODT file manager) and
should receive the url/ identifier of uploaded file to provide to Airavata
2. Users submit experiments to Airavata with the url of uploaded input file
3. Airavata should be able to fetch the input file over SCP or some other mechanism. If the
file server exists in same machine where Airavata also has been hosted, Airavata can directly
fetch the file from the repository folder.
 4. Once the experiment (job) is done, Airavata should be able to push output files to file
server and notify the client.
5. Client should be able to download the output file.

In addition to that, enforcing security in uploading and downloading files is required.

I tried OODT file manager by following this [1] tutorial and managed to push and download
files using command line tools. Before going in to integration, I need to know some details
about the feasibility of using OODT file manager for this scenario.

1. Can OODT file manager simulate the role of file server that I have mentioned earlier without
using other modules of OODT project?
2. Is there any licensing issue if I use OODT file manager in Airavata?
3. What is the preferred way of using file manager client to talk to the file manager programatically?
Simply, is there a Java API for file manager client rather than cli commands?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+Filemgr+User+Guide

Thank You
Dimuthu
--