airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Pankaj Saha <psa...@binghamton.edu>
Subject Re: Airavata Docker Available !!
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:25:33 GMT
Hi Suresh

Our initial plan was to make docker for the airavata developers so that the
initial hurdle of environment set up can be reduced.
If we don't include the source code and only keep the executable binaries
then how can we fulfill that goal?
do we need two set of docker images 1. with source code (dev edition)  and
2. without source code (end user edition) ?
please suggest.

Thanks
Pankaj

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Pankaj Saha <psaha4@binghamton.edu> wrote:

> Hey Shameera,
> what about the PATH variable? If you see my dockerfile I have commented
> the ENV for the JAVA_HOME and PATH. It did not work for me.
> Lahiru suggested to use existing jdk8+maven base image which is better
> idea , what do you think?
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <
> shameerainfo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pankaj,
>>
>> you can use following steps on your Dockerfile to install java. After
>> that java will be available anywhere and you don't need to set PATH
>> variable , But you need to set JAVA_HOME variable which is used by airavata
>> start script.
>>

>> # Install prerequisites
>> RUN apt-get update
>> RUN apt-get install -y software-properties-common
>>
>> # Install java8
>> RUN add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/java
>> RUN apt-get update
>> RUN echo oracle-java8-installer shared/accepted-oracle-license-v1-1
>> select true | sudo /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections
>> RUN apt-get install -y oracle-java8-installer
>>
>> # set JAVA_HOME
>> ENV JAVA_HOME /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle
>>

>> Regards,
>> Shameera.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Pankaj Saha <psaha4@binghamton.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Lahiru,
>>>
>>> 1. So you suggest to use the "java8 with maven" as the base image.
>>> dockerfile/java:oracle-java8 is not based on ubuntu image and also its
>>> not official image from oracle, can we use still use that?
>>>
>>> 2. Do you suggest to put only the executables for airavata inside the
>>> docker image? Does that mean docker file will copy the local host machine's
>>> airavata executable files to the docker image through ADD directive?
>>> So I will build the airavata source code locally through maven and then
>>> put that inside the container image.
>>>
>>> 3. One thing that I could not able to do was changing the properties
>>> values for different port and server ips when the containers starts. I was
>>> trying to run a startup shell script which can do the required changes and
>>> then kick start the airavat-server.sh file.
>>> problem was  airavata-server.properties need apiserver.server.host =
>>> current running containers ip address. Can you suggest some better way to
>>> achieve this through shell script.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Pankaj

An