airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Pankaj Saha <psa...@binghamton.edu>
Subject Re: Airavata Docker Available !!
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 15:56:33 GMT
Hi Lahiru,

1. So you suggest to use the "java8 with maven" as the base image.
dockerfile/java:oracle-java8 is not based on ubuntu image and also its not
official image from oracle, can we use still use that?

2. Do you suggest to put only the executables for airavata inside the
docker image? Does that mean docker file will copy the local host machine's
airavata executable files to the docker image through ADD directive?
So I will build the airavata source code locally through maven and then put
that inside the container image.

3. One thing that I could not able to do was changing the properties values
for different port and server ips when the containers starts. I was trying
to run a startup shell script which can do the required changes and then
kick start the airavat-server.sh file.
problem was  airavata-server.properties need apiserver.server.host =
current running containers ip address. Can you suggest some better way to
achieve this through shell script.

Thanks
Pankaj

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Lahiru Ginnaliya Gamathige <
glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pankaj,
>
> I had a quick look. I think you can replace all the code to install java
> and maven if you use this image [1] or at least java-8 image.
>
> I think its not necessary to build airavata inside the dockerfile, you can
> just assume its built in host machine and you just have to put required
> executables in to the docker image.
> When you create he image maven and source code it not necessary at all.
> Docker image should only contain required binaries, source code doesn't
> have to in the image.
>
> [1]
> https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/jamesdbloom/docker-java8-maven/dockerfile/
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Pankaj Saha <psaha4@binghamton.edu> wrote:
>
>> I am so sorry , I have no intention to hide any docker code.I am
>> attaching the docker files here.I have never done git check in and trying
>> to upload files and its not working. I am trying to understand the git pull
>> request/setting up git directory etc.
>>
>> My apology if I unnecessary delayed it.
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pankaj,
>>>
>>> Open source software can never be final. Once the software is final, the
>>> community is dead, because there is nothing for anyone to do. An important
>>> aspect for all the GSoC students to embrace is, these are not academic
>>> projects where you submit the final code. You are supposed to commit every
>>> few hours of code, you need to do the development in open. We have been
>>> lenient on this so far, but you have been holding off the docker work
>>> little too long. Please do commit the docker files in as in condition.
>>> Thats the only way you can engage others, otherwise you will loose everyone
>>> interest.
>>>
>>> Suresh

What I

ENV in docker