airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Pankaj Saha <psa...@binghamton.edu>
Subject Re: docker use case
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 16:34:59 GMT
Hi Terri,

- Why you decided to use docker?
docker is a light weight container which makes the software deployment easy
and quick. In a distributed environment when multiple components needs to
be installed across many host systems its cumbersome job to install them
manually across all the nodes.

- Who do you expect to use docker to install airavata components, .eg.,
just airavata developers?  Or also third parties that want to install
airavata?
For both developers and end users. If one developer is not concerned with
another component, he can simply have the docker for that component.

- Will docker be the primary (or recommended, or only documented) way of
installing airavata?
No not the only way. We are integrating airavata with mesos/marathon and
they work very well with  docker. Whenever for load balancing purpose,we
need more instances of any airavata components, we can pull respective
docker container and start it. No need to manually install them again. This
makes the system elastic.

- In our own case, I'm concerned that some sys admins aren't all that crazy
about running docker yet, due to security concerns.   Do you see this as an
issue for your use case?
Not yet.

Thanks
Pankaj