airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Pankaj Saha <psa...@binghamton.edu>
Subject Re: Airavata Docker Available !!
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:10:16 GMT
Hey Shameera,
what about the PATH variable? If you see my dockerfile I have commented the
ENV for the JAVA_HOME and PATH. It did not work for me.
Lahiru suggested to use existing jdk8+maven base image which is better idea
, what do you think?

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerainfo@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Pankaj,
>
> you can use following steps on your Dockerfile to install java. After that
> java will be available anywhere and you don't need to set PATH variable ,
> But you need to set JAVA_HOME variable which is used by airavata start
> script.
>

> # Install prerequisites
> RUN apt-get update
> RUN apt-get install -y software-properties-common
>
> # Install java8
> RUN add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/java
> RUN apt-get update
> RUN echo oracle-java8-installer shared/accepted-oracle-license-v1-1 select
> true | sudo /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections
> RUN apt-get install -y oracle-java8-installer
>
> # set JAVA_HOME
> ENV JAVA_HOME /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle
>

> Regards,
> Shameera.
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Pankaj Saha <psaha4@binghamton.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lahiru,
>>
>> 1. So you suggest to use the "java8 with maven" as the base image.
>> dockerfile/java:oracle-java8 is not based on ubuntu image and also its
>> not official image from oracle, can we use still use that?
>>
>> 2. Do you suggest to put only the executables for airavata inside the
>> docker image? Does that mean docker file will copy the local host machine's
>> airavata executable files to the docker image through ADD directive?
>> So I will build the airavata source code locally through maven and then
>> put that inside the container image.
>>
>> 3. One thing that I could not able to do was changing the properties
>> values for different port and server ips when the containers starts. I was
>> trying to run a startup shell script which can do the required changes and
>> then kick start the airavat-server.sh file.
>> problem was  airavata-server.properties need apiserver.server.host =
>> current running containers ip address. Can you suggest some better way to
>> achieve this through shell script.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Pankaj
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Lahiru Ginnaliya Gamathige <
>> glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pankaj,
>>>
>>> I had a quick look. I think you can replace all the code to install java
>>> and maven if you use this image [1] or at least java-8 image.
>>>
>>> I think its not necessary to build airavata inside the dockerfile, you
>>> can just assume its built in host machine and you just have to put required
>>> executables in to the docker image.
>>> When you create he image maven and source code it not necessary at all.
>>> Docker image should only contain required binaries, source code doesn't
>>> have to in the image.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/jamesdbloom/docker-java8-maven/dockerfile/

We