airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Schwartz, Terri" <te...@sdsc.edu>
Subject RE: docker use case
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 19:21:58 GMT
Pankaj and Marlon,  thanks for the responses.   Marlon, you answered exactly what I was about
to ask after reading Pankaj's response, i.e., what problem are you trying to solve with the
use of docker, or what is the goal.

Terri
________________________________
From: Pierce, Marlon [marpierc@iu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:34 AM
To: dev; project@scigap.org
Subject: [SciGaP-Project] Re: docker use case

Thanks for the response, Pankaj.   I’ll add the following.

This is a GSOC project so we are very interested in seeing how best to use Docker and other
tools with Airavata.  Pankaj is making good progress but I would not yet say we are all-in
on Docker.

Our overriding goal is to provide a “harness” that makes it easy to automatically deploy
all of Airavata and its third party components (RabbitMQ, ZooKeeper, MySQL) on VM infrastructure.
 More ambitiously then we also want to incorporate related tools (Apache Mesos and Marathon)
to automate things like fail-over, load balancing, and autoscaling.   I noticed a incubating
project (Apache Brooklyn) that at least states the problem pretty well: we would like cloud-like
capabilities without getting locked into a specific IaaS vendor’s solution (https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org/learnmore/theory.html).
 We are exploring how to do this at this phase.

Marlon