airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Nakandala <supun.nakand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gap Analysis between GridChem Middleware and Airavata
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 20:31:57 GMT
Hi All,

I did analyse the gridchem middleware service's (GMS) user and project
organisation (virtual organisation) functionality. My analysis is based on
the data models and data organization. I have attached the data model
relating to the above functionality here with. I would like to summarize
some of the VO features in gridchem here

1. Unlike Airavata GMS maintains more detailed user information. For
Airavata we don't need to maintain such detailed information as we have
external userstore which maintains these data and does the authentication
and authorization work. User in GMS can have one of three privilege levels
(PI, Admin, User)

2. There is a notion of user preferences in GMS. This is something that we
can think and decide whether to add or not to Airavata

3. Similar to Airavata GMS also has the notion of Project. But the project
model in GMS contains more details than Airavata. It has fields like
sponsorName, projectStatus, service units awarded, service units requested
etc..

4. GMS contains job level scheduling configuration information in the
Project model (e.g CPUs per job, disGB per job). But I think keeping them
in the project level is not a good idea as different jobs may need
different configuration. In Airavata we keep those information per
Experiment (in new models per Process).

5. Similar to Airavata it is possible to add users to projects.

6. GMS treats Applications (Software) and Computational Resources as
Resources. Unlike in Airavata these resources can be assigned to projects
and to users to use in a particular project(ternary relation). This way GMS
has implemented access controlling on Applications and CRs.

7. GMS also has features like blacklisting a particular user to user an
application(Software), renewal of projects etc.. which we don't have in
Airavata.

The execution unit data model in GMS is Job (Similar to Experiment in
Airavata) and is associated with the Project model. Data models relating to
Job and other related entities are not shown in the attached document.

Thanks

--
Thank you
Supun Nakandala